Do you love reading? Have you ever set a New Year's resolution to write a book? This is your chance to get started. Find the story you never knew you always wanted to tell as you learn about archetypes, plots, descriptive writing, and the hero's journey. Bring your pad of paper and a pencil for some hands-on practice, and prepare to be dazzled by just how creative you can be. ..more »
TCC Handmade Classes
Registration Closed. Utilizing the slipper sole starters from Simplicity, this class will learn all the skills needed to create a super-cute buttoned slipper. More advanced students will get the chance to learn some techniques for embellishing their slippers, and everyone will go home with the handout with everything covered in the class...more »
Registration Closed. We will be creating a 10 1/2 inch glass decoupage paints. I will have kits available for purchase which includes the plate, mod podge, brushes and felt. $10.00 for each kit. I will have prints available for the actual project but I would request that students bring prints of family photos, art, or anything else they would like to use for printed material to the class printed on at least 8 1/2 x 11 inch double sided matte paper. Each participant will get a free copy of AUTUMN WITH MATTHEW MEAD Each student will be entered to win one of four special prizes...more »
You are a creative soul, with the passion to make your artful dreams a reality. This workshop is a mixture of creative play, writing, exploring, and discussion. I will reveal clever ways to visually brainstorm your business ideas and market your ART. This workshop will get you thinking about DISCOVERING YOU...combining your talents and passions to help you find unique ways to pursue creative business opportunities. I will be sharing my ideas and experiences, and let you peek inside my business DREAM BIG INSPIRATION book. It’s a collection of lists, goals, IDEAS, drawings, collected images, and creative dreams from the past 15 years. These pages have been my guiding force in planning and strategizing my business. My DREAM BIG INSPIRATION book has been my creative marketing roadmap to a successful art career. If you are ready to take your business to the next level, dream BIG, and creatively market YOUR art...join me on this exciting journey! Also, don’t forget to check out discovering Y.O.U. part two: making a living as an artist. Here’s an overview of the workshop topics:
- Discovering Y.O.U. - fun and creative exercises to help you brand yourself, write a unique artist/mission statement, and express your goals and creative dreams on paper
- DREAM BIG Inspiration Collage - this exercise involves collecting and putting together a work-in-progress inspiration collage, inspirational 10-minute collage exercises, and creative ways to keep your inspiration files
- Digging deep - researching your market, finding opportunities, developing product ideas, working with manufacturers, developing creative partnerships, leveraging your art
- The CREATIVE YOU package - designing and brainstorming your logo, business cards, stationery, press kits, portfolios, and promotional materials
- Mélange marketing - includes strategies for finding niche markets and alternative ways to promote your business, craft/art shows.
- Social media - Creating your online presence, tips on social media, email marketing, creating your story and building relationships through blogging, Facebook and Twitter.
You will be guided through creative exercises in painting, collage, and doodling during this workshop to build your “Dream B.I.G.” creative business art journal. This inspiration NOTEBOOK will be filled with colorful pages ready for you to brainstorm your dreams, lists, goals, images, and ideas to promote YOU. It’s never too late to DREAM BIG. This workshop is designed to go hand-in-hand with my DISCOVERING Y.O.U. art marketing class but you may also take the class independently if you’d like to learn how to create an art journal. $40 materials/kit fee, payable to the instructor, includes:
- DREAM BIG art journal kit - this is a paper/fabric kit with creative inserts, tabs, stickers and collage sheets for your journal.
- Acrylic or watercolor paint
- Tulip fashion graffiti/fabric sprays
- Tulip Slick dimensional paint
- Printing plate
- Mark making tool kit
- Paper towels
- Collage Pauge
- India ink
- Miscellaneous paint brushes
- Sharpie markers/Sakura gel pens/Prismacolor pencils
- Colored masking tape
- Freezer paper
- Bookbinding tools - needles/waxed polyester/binder clips/awl
- Metal rulers
- Pens/markers/crayons/oil pastels
Knowing the right hand stitches is what gives your garments that couture touch. Plus, hand stitching is relaxing and satisfying! In this hands-on workshop, an overview of the most common stitches used in clothing construction will be provided: running stitch, slip stitch, fell stitch, catch stitch, pad stitch, pick stitch, back stitch, stab stitch, basting stitches, buttonhole stitch, blanket stitch, hand overcastting and whipstitch. An introduction to various threads that can be used, the best needles for hand stitching, using beeswax to strengthen your thread, and knots will be discussed. Students will leave with their own samples of each stitch so they can refer back to them in crucial construction moments!
*No Sewing Machine Needed..more »
Friday Class-Registration Closed. Saturday Class-Open. Let me show you how to create a modern take on a classic patchwork pillow. This pillow received the most oooh's and ahhh's of all when I showed it at Quilt Market last Fall, featuring a cheerful patchwork of my spa-inspired “Sanctuary” collection designed for Michael Miller Fabrics. My French Window pillow cover features 9 colorful charm squares sashed in white, and backed with an envelope-style backing for easy care. We will even create and add some lovely contrast binding along the edges for extra pizazz and a more professional finish. Each student will complete the pillow cover as pictured (finished size 18" x 18") using Patty Young's "Sanctuary" fabrics. Basic sewing knowledge is recommended. A kit will be provided at the start of the class that includes:
- French Window printed tutorial
- Enough fabric to complete the pillow cover exactly as pictured. Fabric will be from the Sanctuary collection by Patty Young for Michael Miller Fabrics.
- Contrasting Binding
- MODKID seam insert
- Sewing thread
- All items will be beautifully packaged in a MODKID signature bag
- NOTE: the pillow insert will NOT be provided, but you can bring your own or take the pillow cover home flat.
Registration Closed. This is a special opportunity for crafters of all levels to get hands-on experience learning silk-screen printing without special or expensive equipment. On muslin fabric, you will explore Celina’s assortment screens, colors, and techniques for printing. While Celina shares tips for successful screen printing, you will print four linen placemats or napkins stitched with tiny pockets to hold handwritten messages. Vintage and rescued buttons, sewed on by hand, will provide the final details to your project. You will leave the class with a finished project, plus many pieces of printed muslin (perfect for small projects) that you will make during the class. All printing and sewing supplies, and blank recycled paper note cards, will be provided. This class is limited to 15 people...more »
Registration Closed. This workshop will inspire attendees to burst out of their comfort zones. You've finished your novel, polished it, and queried agents...what's next? With a little elbow grease, grit, and determination you can make things happen even if the only one who believes in you is...you. Learn how to jump start your career path from someone who did it her way, and learn how to build an audience to help garner a mainstream publisher’s attention. Colleen Houck, self-published turned mainstream author of Tiger’s Curse, book one in a new YA series from Splinter, will lead this class...more »
Registration Closed. Students will learn a simple paper craft project, making dimensional circles to attach to a wreath form. Wreath finish size will be 6-7 inches. Students can purchase a kit with all the supplies: wreath form, ribbon, paper, embellishments and common pins for $15.00 Each student will receive a copy of Autumn with Matthew Mead and chances to win one of four special prizes...more »